Welcome to the first ever Codies Racing Line – Spooo000oo00ky Edition!
What’s so terrifying and nightmare-inducing about our latest fortnightly update on all Codemasters news and goings-on, you ask? Well… erm… we’ve switched the lights off in the office whilst writing it. And… it’s a little foggy outside, a bit like a level from Silent Hill. And… a bunch of data spreadsheets and reports haven’t been completed, even though the deadline for them is today. Truly scary stuff.
Despite all of that, we’re soldiering on to bring your another Racing Line that’s full of key news on major Codies titles, as well as some announcements for both the past and the future of our F1 franchise. With the United States Grand Prix right around the corner, let’s begin with F1 2019, which has taken a spo0o0oky turn of its own…
It’s been another busy fortnight here in the world of F1 2019!
Happy Halloween to all of our players – we hope you all have a seriously spooky day and night! We dropped some Halloween-themed content for those that want to join in with the festivities. There are a few ghastly items to pick from: a jack-o-lantern helmet, some skeleton gloves and suit, and a very special livery. If you want to give your rivals a fright, they’re available to download now on all platforms.
Update 1.15 has been released, and with it we’ve made tweaks to the performance of AI from starts, what happens when cars are lapped online, and much more! Take a look at all the patch notes here.
We’re into Round 5 of 6 in the F1 Esports Challenger Series and the racing has never been more exciting. Keep an eye on F1esports.com/live-stream to be sure you don’t miss the next stream. This week’s F1 Esports races are taking place in COTA, just before Round 19 where Lewis Hamilton can clinch the title by finishing eighth or higher. We’ll be following all the action on our @Formula1game Twitter account, so join us there!
Finally, earlier this week we released the Expert’s Guide to F2 video featuring Lando Norris and George Russell. The aim of the video is to give you a taste of what to expect before embarking on an F2 season in-game. We’ve dedicated our video to the Anthoine Hubert, following his tragic passing in August. Check out the video below:
The dust is beginning to settle and the tyres and squealing a little less, as GRID’s launch begins to sit a little further away in the rear-view mirror. Still, that obviously doesn’t mean that the hard work stops on giving you racers the GRID experience you want.
Our priority since GRID’s launch has been working with players; seeing what you’re liking, what you want improving, and what you want to see added to GRID. In the last two weeks we’ve been addressing each of these points – beginning with a hotfix on all platforms, followed by Version 1.1 – the first full GRID patch. The team here have worked incredibly hard to add hundreds of tweaks, changes and fixes to the game this month, so much of which is based on feedback from you, the players. From visual improvements, to general bug fixes, to multiplayer tweaks, we’re making moves based on what you’re asking for. We also thank Xbox players for your patience as we resolved an issue this week with the new patch, which is now resolved. Thank you for all your feedback, and keep it coming as we lay out the long-term plans for GRID, driven by your thoughts on the game.
That’s the present, so what about the future? As we’ve announced, GRID’s post-launch seasons will bring brand new experiences to the game, kicking off with Season 1, which includes exclusive content for Ultimate Edition players. Included in that content drop will be a new circuit, free and available to all players – and we may’ve accidentally dropped a teaser for this on the GRID social channels…
I’m also conducting some in-depth research to see what online racing leagues are the right fit for some organised GRID racing, with plans for more official events in the future… which basically means I’m jumping into a bunch of organised lobbies and entering championships with some seriously talented GRID racers. If you run or you’re a part of an online racing league want to get in on the action, @ in GRID channels in your social posts and show us what you’re all about.
DIRT RALLY 2.0
Hey everyone, it’s PJ, back again with a roundup of DiRTy news:
• The Peugeot 206 Rally and Volkswagen Golf Kitcar are here, and they’re a big hit with DiRT Rally 2.0 players. It’s been great to see you all recreating famous real-life moments and generally thrashing these cars about on the quick Stages in the game. There were some reports of minor niggles with these cars and their exhaust pipes – however. we’d already planned for this. Speaking of which…
• Version 1.10 is here. The latest update to DiRT Rally 2.0 dropped this week and features new Achievements, improvements to Broadcast Mode, some popular car fixes, further Steam VR optimisations and more. A quick note on Broadcast Mode: we’ve got a few more fixes for that lined up to release real soon (as in, before Version 1.11) as we prepare for the DiRT Rally 2.0 World Series Quarter-Finals in December. More info on that in the coming days.
• Think you’re a hotshot? Well, you may want to think again, 9 year old Sam’s the quickest kid we’ve ever seen. Not only has he been slaying the Leaderboards; he’s throwing down the challenge to professional rally drivers. SUBARU driver David Higgins has already stepped up; he’s got quite the challenge ahead.
• Halloween is here – and for one night only, you’ve got a hell of a drive ahead of you. Join our Official DiRT Club or Expert DiRT Club for a terrifying one-night-only challenge. Think you can survive? Share your results to @dirtgame on Twitter when you do.
• Finland is coming, and we’ve got a special gameplay video lined up for you all. How does 30 minutes of uncut high-speed action sound? Tune in on Friday (November 1) at 18.00 GMT to see the DiRT Rally 2.0 location in all its glory; there’s no better way to start the weekend.
I’ll be back tomorrow with The DiRT Roadbook. Before I sign off, though, I’d like to take a moment to mention Russell Brookes, who passed away this week. A legend of the British rally scene, his Opel Manta 400 was a fan-favourite and we’re honoured to have featured his livery in our games. The DiRT team’s thoughts are with his family, friends and loved ones at this difficult time.
F1® MOBILE RACING
With all eyes on COTA for a potential title-winning United Stated Grand Prix for Lewis Hamilton, we’ll keep the F1 Mobile Racing update short and sweet, so you can get back to practicing for this weekend’s GP Event state-side!
On top of that, I’m busy gathering snacks and replenishments for the F1MR team, who are hard at work finalising the game’s next update, which promises to be a special one. Update 9 is on the horizon, and is bringing you new ways to compete in unique championships, earn new items on a daily basis, and prove you’re the one of the greatest F1 Mobile Racing competitors in the world. So, keep tearing up those practice runs, stepping up in the Elite Leagues and getting into Season Championship Gold Tier – we’ll have more big news for you very soon.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS?
– Yesterday we announced some major news on the future of Codemasters and FIA Formula One World Championship (F1®) franchise, with the extension of our contract for exclusive video game rights from 2021 until 2025, with a further option for the 2026 and 2027 seasons. Including both console and mobile titles, Codies is absolutely delighted to extend our partnership with F1. With both the sport of F1 and the game franchise going from strength to strength, we’re all massively excited to continue bringing you critically acclaimed official F1 titles. Time to crack open the bubbly!
– On top of current and future F1 plans, we’ve also dropped an update this week to the Xbox Game Pass version of F1 2018. After requests from the community, we’ve been able to add a multiplayer update, so Game Pass players can take on the world in F1 2018. This is live now for all players who own the subscription across Xbox One and/or PC, so go and jump in – tell ’em the Racing Line sent you.