Whilst it’s very tempting at this time of year to look forward (Christmas festivities, New Year parties, adorable school plays), we’ve actually been doing a bit of reminiscing this week. Turns out that it’s the six-month anniversary of the Racing Line! That means 26 letters for you with Codies news, exclusive announcements, community and developments projects, and truly terrible jokes, straight into your inbox.
Despite that, and despite the festive season being upon us, we’re in no mood to slow down. We’re back with a Racing Line even more bulky, eye-catching and revolutionary than an electric SUV, including big content drops for all of our top titles. Let’s start by heading across the English Channel and delving into GRID’s first slate of post-launch goodness…
That’s right – Season 1 has been revealed for GRID – and the Hot Hatch Showdown ready to hit the track. Four new cars, one new circuit and over 30 new Career events are on their way, with exclusive content for Ultimate Edition players. Instead of me talking about it, listen to some dude with a bit of a Devon accent tell you all about what’s coming to GRID on December 4:
Hatchbacks and pint-sized race-ready machines have been a staple of the GRID franchise, so we’re pleased to add more hot hatches into the new GRID. After some thorough testing I can confirm they’re all bundles of fun to drive, albeit in slightly different ways. The MINI, for example, feels planted and gets through the gears beautifully, whilst the Lancia Delta is far more… rugged, in its feel, but so rewarding when you hook everything up.
We’re also really pleased to begin expanding GRID’s circuit list for all players, beginning with Paris – a circuit unique to the GRID franchise and a real player favourite, with multiple routes and weather conditions to wrap conquer. Then there’s the Career expansion, which uses new and existing content to create new event scenarios, new Showdown events, and a new chance to show Ravenwest who the real boss around here is. Well, if you’re up to the challenge, anyway…
Of course, that’s just part of the big GRID news recently, with the small matter of launching the game on an entirely new gaming platform. We were proud to make GRID a launch title for Google Stadia earlier this month, bringing players the new Endurance mode, designed specifically for Stadia and only possible on that platform. We’ve worked closely with players since November 18 to ensure they’re enjoying GRID and Stadia, and deployed a small update today that improves stability. The result? “It feels like sitting at a piano after not having played in years and somehow remembering an old song that I must have practiced thousands of times,” according to Kotaku’s glowing feedback. Nice.
Welcome to another Racing Line! It’s been a busy few weeks – including the news that F1 2019 is one of this year’s highest-rated games on Metacritic! Congrats to the whole team on creating a stand-out game of 2019.
We’re very proud to have been nominated for #TheGameAwards Best Sports/Racing Game of 2019! 🏁
— Formula 1® Game (@Formula1game) November 24, 2019
It’s nearly time for the Grand Final of the 2019 F1 New Balance Esports Pro Series! This time next week, we’ll have this year’s winner. A grand total of four drivers could lift the trophy on the 4th December’s final, make sure you join us live from 7pm GMT, 4th December at f1esports.com/live-stream to find out who it’s going to be.
That’s not all – this week we released patch 1.18 to all platforms, and you can check out the notes here.
With this patch, we also added two additional customisation bundles (items can also be bought separately), with a special Abu Dhabi Grand Prix livery, helmet, helmet and badge ahead of the final lights out of the season this coming weekend. But wait – there’s myrrh! In preparation of the Holiday season, we have also added a Holiday special bundle, so you can go ahead and sleigh your on-track look. You can check out the special Abu Dhabi livery below:
DIRT RALLY 2.0
• Killarney International Raceway is here, marking the start of Season 4. The South African circuit’s a tricky one with some real tight switchback sections, and was the scene of this year’s FIA World Rallycross Championship showdown a few weeks ago. Speaking of, you’ll be able to drive this year’s cars real soon as they are also coming in Season 4.
• The DiRT Rally 2.0 World Series Qualifiers have ended. Over the last 3 months drivers have been putting in the work to climb the Leaderboards and make it to the Quarter-Finals. The top times are currently being verified and players are being contacted, and in mid December you’ll be able to watch them compete for a spot in January’s live Finals.
• Our official DiRT Rally 2.0 Clubs are having a big event right now, where players can drive across all 12 of the game’s rally locations in a single Championship. Head here to take part, or join the hardcore Club for an extra challenge.
• Yesterday we announced another set of challenges coming in December. All throughout the Holiday season you can take part in our Festive Challenges, and take home some festive liveries and big CR bonuses. They kick off on December 1.
• Next week we’re off to Lydden Hill the second and final location in Season 4. The UK venue is known as the birthplace of rallycross and even today it presents a decent challenge regardless of what car you drive.
That’ll do it for me, see you all again soon!
F1 MOBILE RACING
The big news on the F1MR front this past fortnight is twofold, ahead of Update 9’s arrival in December – one of the biggest updates to our free-to-play official F1 game to date!
With the season finale upon us at Abu Dhabi this weekend, the final Season Championship GP Event will be live, completing the set for players vying for the chance to be our first ever GP Events champion! As announced in our recent blog post, the deadline for Season Championship has been extended past this weekend, giving players a chance to retry previous events and improve their score. Use the time wisely to earn some of the biggest in-game rewards we’ve ever handed out in F1 Mobile Racing!
Secondly, whilst Update 9 is full of exciting changes, there’s one in particular we can’t wait to tell you more about. Put it this way: we’ve been getting a little jealous of all this thrilling F1 Esports action taking place on the console title, and may’ve just managed to get in on the act… Sound good? Keep an eye on our channels next week for more news on our most competitive challenge to date.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS?
– Hot off the press! We are absolutely delighted to announce that Codemasters has agreed to acquire Slightly Mad Studios – the team behind the award-winning Project CARS series. “We are delighted to bring such an incredible racing game developer to the Codemasters family, and this unequivocally establishes us as a global powerhouse in the development of racing titles,” said Frank Sagnier, Chief Executive Officer at Codemasters. Huge news; welcome aboard SMS!
– Gongs. Gongs everywhere. It’s awards season in the video games world, and Codemasters is delighted to be nominated for a bunch of honours for this year’s games. First up, The Game Awards, where both F1 2019 and DiRT Rally 2.0 are nominated for Best Sports/Racing Game! Part of the final decision comes down to a public vote, so head over here to back your favourite Codies game, in our first ever nominations for the event! Meanwhile, GameDebate have nominated F1 2019 and GRID for multiple awards. Guess we need to dust off those dresses and tuxedos…
– We’ve managed to squeeze in another game launch before the year bows out. GRID Autosport is now live to the world on Android devices! The full Autosport experience, with multiple disciplines, classes, and all DLC drops, is now on Android, in partnership with our friends at Feral Interactive. Pick it up from the Play Store today.
– Who needs Black Friday? We’re bringing you some super-sweet deals on Codies titles on all platforms. On Steam, grab discounts on DiRT Rally 2.0, F1 2019 and GRID; pick up deals on the Microsoft store for DiRT Rally 2.0 and GRID.