The Sound of ONRUSH

by 

on 

June 28, 2018

Hi everyone, I’m Tim Shepherd, Lead Audio Designer on ONRUSH, and as starting a blog is not my forte I’m just going to dive head first into the sound of ONRUSH!

As you probably already know, ONRUSH’s soundtrack is quite unique. It doesn’t just play one track after another; it lives and breathes with the moment to moment action from each and every race.

To be able to do this we’ve worked exclusively and extremely closely with Ninja Tune and Just Isn’t Music to build an incredible line-up of music tracks for the game. All carefully picked with the help of Ninja’s Creative guru, Sergio Pimentel.

We have a whopping 59 tracks in the line-up, all hand selected to perfectly sit alongside your ONRUSH experience.

All of these tracks are carefully woven together to create a constantly ebbing and flowing soundtrack. We approached it in the same way that a DJ might approach building a set, but in three dimensions.

It’s all driven by the gameplay – so if you’re getting huge air on an epic jump, the music will react by dropping the bass and switching to a more ethereal section. Once you hit the ground the music will come pounding back in on the beat.

When you get takendown or wreck, the music will once again switch gear, dropping back from the high tempo action before building towards the moment that you respawn/re-emerge into the heart-pounding action.

And then there’s the RUSH music! An epic “Metal Scream” provided by ‘The Death Set’ that roars into full force with an epic high tempo wall of noise that perfectly encompasses the RUSH moment!

All of this is rounded off with some pre/post event laid back music to get you ready for the next event, or provide the perfect tunes to customise your vehicles and characters.

We have some classic tunes in there, like “True Skool” by Coldcut featuring Roots Manuva. “What Happened To The Love” by The Heavy, and some beautiful tracks from Odesza.

We also have two exclusive tracks in the game, Crevasse by the Qemists, which you’ll have heard on The Stampede trailer and a new track by Cmd/Ctrl called Riot Lights.

There are, of course, some hidden gems in there, too. All of which comes together to create a wonderfully eclectic mix of music to create the perfect soundtrack to your ONRUSH sessions.

Before I go, on behalf of the entire ONRUSH team, I’d like to say that it’s been an absolute pleasure working with Stephen Root (Codemasters), Sergio Pimentel, Martin Dobson and all at Ninja Tune / JIM for bringing these incredible artists together and allowing us to mix, chop, cut and blend them all together to create the unique melting pot of music that makes ONRUSH sound so unique.

Before you check out the full track list below, Sergio and Martin from Ninja Tune wanted to say a few words about their work with ONRUSH!

Sergio
“Having worked with the team in Runcorn in my PlayStation days it was a real pleasure to work with the talented team again. The vision for the soundtrack and how the tracks were going to be remixed on the fly really tapped into the creativity here at Ninja Tune and Just Isn’t Music. I’ve always loved an arcade racer over overtly realistic driving game, and as an early Ninja Tune fan it was a thrilling and a real honour dipping into our iconic catalogue to find the perfect accompaniment to the game. ONRUSH certainly delivers on its crazy and adrenaline filled promise.”

Martin
“We work on many projects every week putting our music into media, but working with the team at Codemasters on ONRUSH has been a completely different and very rewarding experience. Getting in so early on the project (nearly 2 years ago now) and working with them so closely has made us, our artists and writers feel like part of the development team. Playing the early pre rendered prototypes in Runcorn was a real highlight and hearing the music come together during the game play made us see what this soundtrack could be.”

TRACK LIST
7Horse – Most of That is You and Me
Bite The Buffalo – Blind Drunk Lemon
Bite The Buffalo – Keys To Your Coffin
Coldcut (Feat. Roots Manuva) – True Skool
Pop Levi – Wannamama
The Heavy – No Time (Extra Time Remix)
Maxim – Baddest Breed (Insideinfo Remix)
DJ Kentaro – North South East West feat. Matrix and Futurebound
DJ Kentaro – North South East West feat. Matrix and Futurebound (Tha New Team Remix)
The Death Set – Too Much Fun For Regrets
BBoss – Russian Girls (Qemists Scores Remix)
Maxim – Revolution
The Qemists – Life’s Too Short
Pop Levi – Oh God
The Death Set – Slap Slap Slap Pound Up Down Snap
Young Fathers – Shame
Virus Syndicate – Kickin it Up
Cutline – Crack It
Cmd / Ctrl – The End Game
Kilon tek – Essential Hype
Machindrum – Dos Puertas
Machindrum – Dos Puertas (Alix Perex Remix)
Ash Koosha – Mudafossil
Phonat – The Big Deal
Odesza – Meridian
Young Punx – MASHitUP
Two Fingers – Vengeance Rhythm (KOAN Sound Remix)
The Herbaliser – Breach
The Heavy – What Happened To The Love
The Qemists – Jungle (Inst)
The Qemists – Requiem
The Heavy – How you like me now (Tam Cooper Remix)
Two Fingers – Sweden
The Qemists – Lick The Lid (Instr)
Amon Tobin – Surge (Two Fingers Remix)
Vessels – Glower
Giraffage – Slowly
The Qemists – Crevasse (Bespoke)
Coldcut – Sound Mirrors (Beats Mix)
Cmd / Ctrl – Riot Lights (Bespoke)
Bite The Buffalo – My Gun (Instrumental)
Amon Tobin – In Your Own Time (Eprom Remix)
The Heavy – Same OL’
Submotion Orchestra – In Gold
Pop Levi – Terrifying
Wen – Blips
FaltyDL – Uncea
Submotion Orchestra – Trust / Lust (Upbeats Remix)
The Easy Access Orchestra – Work It Baby
Odesza – Show Me
Odesza – La Ciudad
Mr Scruff – Ug
Fink Fear is like fire (Walking Def Remix)
Poirier + Face-T – Blazin (Modeselektor Remix)
Vessels – Deflect The Light (Dub)
Bicep – Kites
Kidkanevil – Ewok (Inst)
Giraffage – Maybes (Massayoshi Iimori Remix)
Giraffage – Maybes (RAC Mix)

About Tim Shepherd

View all posts by Tim Shepherd

You might also like