Paul’s DiRT Diary Part 2 – Building the DiRT 3 Impreza
Firstly, let me say thank you for the great response to yesterday’s blog post and the story of how I met Jon. Today the story picks up in Spring 2011 and the birth of the DiRT 3 Impreza.
On the 15th of March 2011 the car build got underway. Over the next couple of months the car was stripped down, had its roll cage fitted and had its interior sprayed. It then started to get built into a rally car. I was very busy getting DiRT 3 finished and ready for submission so things were pretty quiet on the rally front but Jon and I continued to hunt for a suitable Rally to compete in.
Jon and I had spent a lot of time discussing the look of the car and plans were really starting to take shape for a vinyl wrap that would really make the car stand out…
On the 1st of June 2011 the car was really starting to come together and we had our entry confirmed for the Neath Valley Stages on the 13th of August 2011. Jon and I had spent a lot of time discussing the look of the car and plans were really starting to take shape for a vinyl wrap that would really make the car stand out in the forests.
With the date of the first event confirmed it we needed to purchase the necessary safety equipment. We had discussed getting some simple clubman specification gear but also wanted to look as professional as possible so we contacted Alpinestars and Stilo to see if they could help us out with the purchase of some of their safety gear. Both companies were incredibly helpful and we were able to acquire higher standard equipment than we had hoped for at a very reasonable price. This was the first time we saw a benefit from being connected with the DiRT franchise.
At the end of June 2012 the car was revealed at the Northern Big One, one of Europe’s biggest Subaru shows. It was an incredibly hot day but Jon and I travelled up to Sunderland to see the car for the first time and get the seat position and seat belts sorted out. The car was not completely finished at this point and was sitting pretty high on its springs with some spare road wheels but things were definitely starting to come together.
With our sights firmly set on our first event we brought the car to Tong in Yorkshire for a day of testing. The day consisted of short bursts through the forest as Jon familiarised himself with the car and I started to learn how and when to call notes in a moving car. The day itself was very hot and the stage was dry and dusty. We learnt a lot in that short period of time and managed to solve a problem with the positioning of the air intake. It was a fantastic day and was really necessary to help us get familiarised with the car before our first competitive event…